“Don’t be afraid to give up the good to go for the great.” – -John D. Rockefeller
Are you ready to unlock your full potential and achieve bigger, better results?
Welcome to the world of 10X thinking—a realm where audacious goals become attainable, where exponential growth becomes a reality, and where remarkable success awaits those who dare to dream big.
I have been fortunate enough to lead significant projects with a profound impact at Microsoft for over 20 years. Throughout my journey, I’ve discovered the immense power of dreaming big and embracing 10X thinking in its various forms and flavors.
Now, I am thrilled to share with you the insights, perspectives, and strategies from luminaries such as Dr. Benjamin Hardy, Dan Sullivan, Grant Cardone, Peter Diamandis, and many more who have championed this transformative mindset.
In this article, we’ll dive into the essence of 10X thinking and explore its profound implications for personal and professional growth.
We’ll examine how 10X thinking compares with moonshot projects, harnessing the boundless potential of exponential leaps forward. We’ll also explore its relationship with the concept of 1% better, showcasing how these two approaches can synergistically coexist and elevate your journey to new heights.
If you’re ready to break free from the shackles of mediocrity, to surpass incremental progress, and to embrace the exhilarating path of exponential growth, then I’m here to guide you on your own 10X thinking journey, providing practical strategies and actionable steps to adopt this mindset and experience its transformative power for yourself.
Is Your Today Pulled by the Future or Prisoned by Your Past?
Is what you’re doing today inspired by the future or more driven by your past?
It’s a pretty simple check.
Do you have a clear vision of your Future Self?
Do you have a clear and simple vision for today, this week, this month, this year?
When your compelling vision for your future pulls you forward, you are unstoppable you.
When your past is dictating everything you do today, that’s a potential prison for your abilities.
Spend 80% on New, 20% on Existing
One way to break out of the mundane and ordinary results or status quo, and achieve extraordinary results, is to adopt 10X thinking.
According to Dr. Benjamin Hardy, 10X thinking means spending 80% on new, 20% on existing.
The idea of spending 80% of your resources on new endeavors and 20% on existing commitments can be seen as a great approach for several reasons:
- Innovation and Growth: Allocating a significant portion of your time, energy, and resources to new ventures allows for continuous innovation and growth. By exploring new ideas, markets, and opportunities, you open doors to potential breakthroughs, expansion, and staying ahead of the competition.
- Adaptation and Resilience: In a rapidly changing world, it is crucial to adapt and evolve. By dedicating a substantial part of your focus to new endeavors, you remain agile and responsive to shifting market dynamics, emerging trends, and evolving customer needs.
- Avoiding Complacency: Relying solely on existing commitments can lead to complacency and stagnation. By actively engaging in new projects, you stay motivated, challenge the status quo, and avoid falling into a routine that hinders innovation and growth.
- Maximizing Opportunities: Investing in new ventures exposes you to potential opportunities that can have a significant impact on your overall success. By exploring uncharted territory, you increase the chances of discovering untapped markets, new customer segments, and innovative solutions that can propel your business forward.
- Risk Mitigation: Diversifying your focus between new and existing ventures helps mitigate risks. While existing commitments provide stability and a solid foundation, exploring new opportunities reduces reliance on a single source of revenue or dependency on outdated practices.
- Flexibility and Adaptability: Embracing a flexible allocation of resources allows you to adapt to changing circumstances and capitalize on emerging opportunities. It enables you to pivot quickly, explore new avenues, and adjust your strategies as needed.
- Continuous Learning and Improvement: Engaging in new endeavors fosters a culture of continuous learning, experimentation, and improvement. It encourages you to acquire new skills, gather fresh insights, and adapt best practices from different industries or domains.
- Future-Proofing: By dedicating a significant portion of your efforts to new ventures, you position yourself for long-term success. You anticipate future market needs, build capabilities, and stay at the forefront of industry trends, ensuring your relevance and sustainability in a rapidly evolving landscape.
The concept of spending 80% on new and 20% on existing endeavors is seen as a great thing because it promotes innovation, growth, adaptability, and the exploration of untapped opportunities.
It encourages businesses and individuals to embrace change, continuously learn, and position themselves for long-term success in an ever-evolving world.
According to Dr. Benjamin Hardy, 2X thinking is there you spend 80% of your time on existing things, and 20% of your time on new things.
2X thinking involves primarily dedicating your time and effort to existing things rather than new ventures. It suggests spending 80% of your time on established commitments and responsibilities, while allocating the remaining 20% to exploring new ideas and possibilities.
The critique of 2X thinking is that it may limit your perspective and hinder your ability to explore and seize new opportunities.
The problem with 2X thinking is that it can be too slow and limiting. When you focus on doubling your success, it often means setting incremental goals and making gradual progress. While this approach can be steady and methodical, it may not fully harness your potential for rapid growth and breakthrough outcomes.
According to Dr. Benjamin Hardy, 10X thinking is there you spend 80% of your time on new things, and 20% of your time on existing things.
10X thinking offers a more energizing and expansive mindset than 2X thinking.
Instead of solely fixating on doubling your success, it encourages you to envision a much higher level of achievement and to explore all areas of your life for growth opportunities. This includes evaluating your support team, clients, customers, technology, and even your lifestyle choices.
By embracing a 10X mindset, you are encouraged to think big and take bold steps towards your desired ideal. It prompts you to consider what needs to be left behind or delegated in order to move forward effectively. It challenges you to identify the tasks that are better suited for others, enabling you to focus on higher-level responsibilities and areas where you can make the most impact.
Dr. Benjamin Hardy on 10X Thinking
Dr. Benjamin Hardy is a proponent of 10X thinking, which is the idea that it is easier to achieve 10 times your current results by focusing on quality over quantity.
He argues that most people are so focused on incremental improvement that they never reach their full potential.
By setting 10X goals, you force yourself to think outside the box and come up with new and innovative ways to achieve your desired results.
Dr. Hardy believes that 10X thinking is not just about setting big goals, but also about having the courage to take risks and fail.
He says that “the only way to achieve 10X results is to be willing to fail 10X more often than you succeed.”
In his book, 10x Is Easier Than 2x, Dr. Hardy outlines three key principles of 10X thinking:
- Focus on quality over quantity. Don’t just focus on doing more, focus on doing things better. This means being more selective about the projects you take on and the tasks you complete.
- Be willing to fail. Failure is a natural part of the 10X process. Don’t let it discourage you. Learn from your mistakes and keep moving forward.
- Be patient. 10X results don’t happen overnight. Be patient and persistent, and you will eventually achieve your goals.
If you are looking to achieve extraordinary results in your life, then 10X thinking is a powerful mindset to adopt.
By setting big goals, taking risks, and learning from your mistakes, you can achieve more than you ever thought possible.
Here are some additional tips from Dr. Hardy for applying 10X thinking to your own life:
- Start by defining your 10X goals. What do you want to achieve in your life? What are your wildest dreams? Once you know what you want, you can start to develop a plan to achieve it.
- Break your goals down into smaller, more manageable steps. This will make them seem less daunting and more achievable.
- Focus on taking action. Don’t just sit around and dream about your goals. Take action every day to move closer to them.
- Be patient. It takes time to achieve 10X results. Don’t get discouraged if you don’t see results immediately. Keep working hard and you will eventually reach your goals.
Dan Sullivan on 10X Thinking
Dan Sullivan, the founder of Strategic Coach, is known for his insights on entrepreneurship and personal development. His overall philosophy aligns with the concept of 10X thinking.
Sullivan emphasizes the importance of setting ambitious goals and thinking big to achieve extraordinary results.
In line with 10X thinking, Sullivan encourages you to break free from the constraints of incremental progress and envision massive leaps forward. He advocates for shifting your mindset to focus on exponential growth and making substantial improvements rather than settling for marginal gains.
Sullivan’s approach often centers around the idea of “The Gap.” He encourages individuals to set goals that are significantly beyond their current capabilities and then work to bridge the gap between their current reality and the future they desire.
This approach resonates with the essence of 10X thinking, which challenges individuals to think on a larger scale and take bold action to achieve exponential outcomes.
Grant Cardone on 10X Thinking
Grant Cardone is a prominent entrepreneur, author, and motivational speaker known for his emphasis on massive action and 10X thinking. He is a strong advocate for the concept of 10X thinking and has developed the “10X Rule” as a framework for achieving extraordinary success.
According to Grant Cardone, 10X thinking involves setting goals and taking actions that are ten times greater than what you initially believe is necessary.
It goes beyond incremental progress and challenges individuals to think and act on a much larger scale.
Cardone encourages individuals to expand their vision and push beyond their comfort zones to achieve exponential results. He believes that by setting audacious goals and taking massive action, individuals can tap into their full potential and accomplish things that were once considered impossible.
In his book “The 10X Rule,” Cardone emphasizes the importance of taking massive action, maintaining persistence, and embracing a relentless commitment to achieving extraordinary outcomes.
He argues that most people underestimate what they are truly capable of and settle for mediocrity. In contrast, he urges individuals to think big, overcome fear and self-doubt, and take consistent, disciplined action to achieve their goals.
Cardone’s take on 10X thinking is aligned with the belief that significant success requires exceptional effort and a mindset that embraces limitless possibilities.
He encourages individuals to break through self-imposed limitations, challenge conventional thinking, and pursue goals with unwavering determination.
Grant Cardone’s perspective on 10X thinking revolves around pushing boundaries, taking massive action, and setting audacious goals to achieve extraordinary levels of success.
He inspires individuals to embrace a mindset of limitless possibilities and to take the necessary steps to make their ambitious dreams a reality.
Peter Diamandis on 10X Thinking
Peter Diamandis, a renowned entrepreneur and futurist, is a strong proponent of 10X thinking.
He believes that aiming for exponential growth and breakthrough outcomes is crucial for achieving extraordinary success. Diamandis encourages individuals and organizations to set audacious goals that are ten times greater than what is conventionally considered possible.
According to Diamandis, 10X thinking is about challenging limiting beliefs and pushing the boundaries of what is perceived as achievable.
It requires adopting a mindset of abundance, thinking big, and embracing exponential technologies and trends that have the potential to disrupt industries and create significant positive impact.
Diamandis emphasizes that incremental improvements and small goals often lead to incremental results.
In contrast, 10X goals stimulate innovation, creativity, and resourcefulness. They inspire individuals to think beyond incremental progress and to seek out transformative solutions and breakthrough innovations.
Through his work and writings, such as his book “Bold” co-authored with Steven Kotler, Diamandis showcases the power of 10X thinking in various domains, from business and technology to healthcare and space exploration.
He highlights examples of individuals and organizations that have achieved remarkable success by setting audacious goals and leveraging exponential technologies to drive exponential growth.
Diamandis believes that 10X thinking is not just reserved for a select few, but rather is a mindset that can be adopted by anyone willing to challenge the status quo and embrace transformative change.
He encourages individuals to overcome fear, take calculated risks, and tap into the abundance of possibilities that exist in today’s rapidly advancing world.
Peter Diamandis promotes 10X thinking as a mindset and approach that challenges individuals to set audacious goals and strive for exponential growth and impact.
He believes that embracing this mindset is essential for driving breakthrough innovation, achieving extraordinary outcomes, and creating a future of abundance and opportunity.
How I Leveraged 10X Thinking at Microsoft
The good news is I didn’t have a choice. When I joined the patterns & practices group at Microsoft, a couple decades ago, we focused on the future.
Whenever the question came up of whether to invest more in maintaining what I already shipped or invest in solving a new problem for Microsoft, my manager was always clear:
Go solve the new problem.
What I found in hindsight is that this was a great call. What I learned is that there were always smart, passionate people, ready, willing and able to support past work.
The bigger challenge was path paving and forging the way forward.
This took much more investment. But at the same time, working on the future attracted and inspired amazing talent from around the world.
By working on new things, I was constantly growing my skills and abilities. This continuously opened new doors and opportunities.
It truly created a work environment where work was an amazing dojo for personal growth and greatness.
And what I ultimately learned to do was to outsource existing and past work to vendors and other groups that specialized in it.
This way the investment was spent on framing and forging the future and creating and generating new sources and streams of new value. It compounded the growth of our group in terms of impact on customer satisfaction and confidence in the platform.
Be What’s Next!
“Be What’s Next” is a slogan used by Microsoft to convey its commitment to innovation and staying at the forefront of technological advancements. It represents Microsoft’s drive to anticipate and shape the future, actively seeking out new opportunities and pushing boundaries to lead in the ever-evolving tech landscape.
In the context of “10X thinking,” “Be What’s Next” aligns with the concept of setting ambitious goals and thinking big to achieve extraordinary outcomes. It reflects Microsoft’s embrace of exponential growth, transformative ideas, and disruptive innovations.
The slogan encourages Microsoft employees and the broader community to adopt a mindset that challenges the status quo and aims to make a significant impact.
“Be What’s Next” encompasses a proactive approach to innovation, continuously pushing the limits of what is possible. It reflects Microsoft’s commitment to being at the forefront of technological advancements and driving positive change on a global scale.
“Be What’s Next” embodies the idea of anticipating future trends, anticipating customers’ needs, and delivering solutions that shape the way people live, work, and interact with technology.
1% Better Mindset in Atomic Habits
In James Clear’s book “Atomic Habits,” the concept of “1% better” refers to the idea of making small, incremental improvements consistently over time.
The philosophy is based on the belief that small changes, when compounded over the long term, can lead to remarkable progress and significant results.
The notion of “1% better” highlights the power of marginal gains and the compounding effect of consistent habits. Instead of focusing on drastic transformations or immediate results, Clear emphasizes the importance of making small, manageable improvements on a daily basis.
By committing to getting just 1% better each day, you gradually accumulate progress and create a positive momentum that propels you toward your goals.
Clear suggests that these small improvements, although seemingly insignificant on their own, can have a substantial impact over time.
When you consistently make small adjustments, refine your habits, and consistently strive for marginal gains, the cumulative effect leads to substantial transformation and long-term success.
The “1% better” mindset encourages individuals to focus on the process rather than solely fixating on the end goal. It promotes continuous learning, adaptation, and refinement of habits, as well as the development of a growth mindset.
By embracing the philosophy of “1% better,” individuals cultivate a commitment to lifelong improvement and maximize their potential for long-lasting, positive change.
The concept of “1% better” in “Atomic Habits” emphasizes the power of making small, consistent improvements over time. It encourages individuals to focus on incremental progress, cultivate positive habits, and harness the compounding effect of marginal gains to achieve significant results in the long run.
1% Better vs.10X Thinking
The concepts of “1% better” and “10X thinking” offer contrasting approaches to personal growth and achievement:
- Magnitude of Change: “1% better” focuses on making small, incremental improvements over time. The emphasis is on consistent progress through marginal gains. It recognizes that significant transformations can be achieved by continuously refining habits and processes, without requiring drastic or immediate changes.
- Mindset and Goals: “1% better” emphasizes a gradual and sustainable approach to improvement. It encourages individuals to focus on the process, embrace continuous learning, and develop habits that support long-term success. The primary goal is to make steady progress and create positive momentum.
- Speed and Scale: In contrast, “10X thinking” centers around thinking and acting on a much larger scale. It encourages individuals to set audacious goals that are ten times greater than what is initially believed possible. The focus is on exponential growth, pushing boundaries, and achieving breakthrough outcomes.
- Mindset and Risk-Taking: “10X thinking” fosters a mindset of abundance, pushing individuals to dream big and take massive action. It challenges you to go beyond your comfort zones, embrace uncertainty, and adopt a relentless commitment to achieving extraordinary results.
Better Together: 1% Better + 10X Thinking
While “1% better” and “10X thinking” may seem divergent, they are not necessarily mutually exclusive. You can adopt a “1% better” approach to consistently improve and refine existing processes while simultaneously incorporating “10X thinking” to set ambitious goals and push the boundaries of what is perceived as possible.
In combination, “1% better” provides the foundation for continuous progress, while “10X thinking” acts as a catalyst for breakthrough leaps forward. The two approaches can complement each other, allowing for both incremental improvements and game-changing advancements.
Ultimately, the choice between “1% better” and “10X thinking” depends on the individual’s objectives, preferences, and the context in which they are applied. It’s important to strike a balance that aligns with personal goals, embraces both continuous improvement and ambitious aspirations, and enables sustainable long-term growth.
How Does 10X Thinking Relate to Moonshots?
“10X thinking” and “moonshots” share a commonality in their approach to setting ambitious goals and thinking beyond conventional limits. Both concepts encourage individuals and organizations to aim for significant, transformative outcomes.
While they’re not interchangeable terms, they’re closely related and can complement each other.
“10X thinking,” popularized by Peter Diamandis, involves setting goals that are ten times greater than what is initially perceived as achievable. It challenges individuals to think big, take bold action, and embrace exponential growth. The focus is on pushing boundaries, surpassing incremental progress, and achieving breakthrough results.
On the other hand, “moonshots” refer to ambitious projects or ideas that aim to solve grand challenges and push the boundaries of what is currently possible. The term is often associated with Google’s “Google X” division, which is dedicated to pursuing audacious projects with the potential for revolutionary impact.
While “10X thinking” emphasizes a mindset and approach to goal-setting, “moonshots” represent specific projects or initiatives that embody that audacious, transformative spirit. Moonshots typically involve tackling complex problems, exploring uncharted territories, and pursuing technological advancements that can reshape industries and society.
Both “10X thinking” and “moonshots” encourage individuals and organizations to go beyond incremental improvements and traditional limits. They foster a mindset of abundance, boldness, and the pursuit of ambitious goals. By embracing “10X thinking,” individuals and teams are more likely to identify and pursue moonshot projects that have the potential to drive significant, positive change.
“10X thinking” provides the mindset and approach for setting audacious goals, while “moonshots” represent the specific projects or initiatives that embody that spirit of transformative impact.
Together, they inspire individuals and organizations to push boundaries, pursue breakthrough innovation, and strive for extraordinary outcomes.
Additional Ways to 10X Your Results
Each of the approaches mentioned contributes to 10X thinking by encouraging individuals to maximize their potential, leverage their strengths, and optimize their actions. Here’s an explanation of how each approach can help in 10X thinking:
- Find Your Unique 20% Spike: By identifying and focusing on your unique 20% spike, you can channel your energy and efforts towards areas where you excel. This approach allows you to leverage your strengths and passions, enabling you to make significant strides and achieve exponential growth. By investing a disproportionate amount of time and resources in your areas of expertise, you can amplify your impact and drive remarkable results.
- Spend 75% in Your Strengths, 25% in Your Non-Negotiables: This approach emphasizes the importance of dedicating the majority of your time and resources to your strengths and areas of competence. By aligning the bulk of your efforts with your strengths, you can tap into your natural abilities and operate in a state of flow, which leads to higher productivity and exceptional performance. Simultaneously, allocating a portion of your time to non-negotiables ensures that essential tasks and responsibilities are addressed, while still maintaining a focus on leveraging your strengths for exponential growth.
- Spend 80% on Action, 20% on Thinking: This approach prioritizes action and execution as the primary driver of progress and growth. By devoting the majority of your time to taking tangible steps towards your goals, you create momentum and make significant strides. The 20% allocated to thinking allows for reflection, strategic planning, and thoughtful decision-making, ensuring that actions are aligned with your vision and objectives. This balance between action and thinking optimizes your efforts and propels you towards exponential growth.
These approaches align with the principles of 10X thinking by emphasizing the need to focus on strengths, leverage unique capabilities, take action, and drive continuous improvement.
By adopting these approaches, you can amplify your impact, achieve extraordinary results, and unlock your full potential.
Unlock Untapped Potential with 10X Thinking!
10X thinking offers a transformative pathway to bigger, better results. By challenging the boundaries of what’s deemed possible, embracing audacious goals, and taking bold action, individuals and organizations can unlock untapped potential and achieve remarkable success.
Through 10X thinking, individuals are encouraged to think beyond incremental improvements and embrace the power of exponential growth. It is a mindset that fuels innovation, creativity, and relentless pursuit of excellence.
By setting goals that are ten times greater than what is initially perceived as achievable, individuals stretch their limits, overcome obstacles, and unleash their true potential.
The beauty of 10X thinking lies in its ability to inspire and propel individuals towards extraordinary achievements. It requires a shift in perspective, a willingness to challenge conventional thinking, and a commitment to continuous growth.
With 10X thinking, individuals can reach heights they never thought possible, create breakthrough innovations, and make a lasting impact on the world.
So, dare to dream big, think exponentially, and take massive action. Embrace the power of 10X thinking to unlock your full potential, defy limitations, and achieve bigger, better results.
Remember, it’s in pushing beyond what is comfortable or expected that you pave the way for extraordinary success and leave an indelible mark on the world.
Embrace the challenge, ignite your imagination, and let 10X thinking guide you towards a future brimming with limitless possibilities.
The world is waiting for your audacious goals, your relentless pursuit, and your unwavering commitment to achieving extraordinary results through 10X thinking.
You Might Also Like