You can’t always change the What, but you can always change the Why or How.
Changing the How would be things like:
- using deliberate practice (a disciplined approach to improve a routine activity)
- making it a game (against time, against yourself, etc.)
- pairing up with somebody
- changing when you do it—have a different energy (power hours, creative hours)
- linking it to good feelings (play your favorite songs or chunk it up or timebox things)
Changing the Why would be things like:
- finding a higher cause (I’m doing this for the greater good vs. just for me)
- making new meaning (I don’t want to rake the leaves -> raking the leaves helps do my part around the house)
- tell a simple story (I write the code that brings good ideas to life.)
On changing the Why—the key is to find an intersection with your core values.